I can see the picture in my mind as if it were yesterday. I can’t say for sure how old I was but I know I was not yet in school and I was small enough to be sitting up on the counter. My dad was making dinner, I believe it was homemade Mac and Cheese. I was there “helping” when I eyed the tub of butter on the counter. My tiny fingers could not resist a swipe across the top. I remember I always thought the swirl looked like a belly button and it made me laugh.
“Ahhh my little butter freak” my dad teased lovingly with a twinkle in his eye. I giggled and took another swipe. I have no idea why I loved to steal a swipe of butter, but it was always fun to evoke a little special laugh and tease from my dad.
This story came back to me today while I was making this butter with my little Miss Blue. After we made this butter she asked me for a taste, and another and then another. I found myself tickling her and calling her my little “butter freak” – coming full circle. Priceless.
- 1 Stick Unsalted Butter (softened)
- 1 TBS Honey
- Zest of one Orange (finely grated)
- ½ tsp Cinnamon
- ½ Cup Blueberries
- Pinch Salt
- Add Butter, Honey, Cinnamon, Orange Zest, and salt to a food processor bowl.
- Mix till combined
- Add Blueberries and pulse till mostly broken down and combined
- Transfer to a container and refrigerate until firm (about 2 hours)