I know, I know but before you run for the door hear me out. As you know I am always on a mission to incorporate more veggies into my babies diets. They are very good eaters honestly but Beets are a tough one even for the most forgiving palate. I personally do not like Beets in any form I have ever had them in. I remember them being a pickled unwanted garnish on salads at every Latino Restaurant I went to in the Bronx.
I found the recipe on Weelicious and I was intrigued and a little nervous I must admit. I have to say they were a hit with my little man, little lady was not as bowled over but I think they are worth giving a try. The taste of Beets is barely detectable and with a little syrup you will forget all about it.
- 1 cup All Purpose Flour
- ¾ Cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 3 Tbs Light Brown Sugar
- 1 Tbs Baking Powder
- ½ Tsp Kosher Salt
- 2 medium beets roasted and pureed* (about ¾ cup)
- 1¼ cup Milk (I used Vanilla Coconut)
- ⅓ cup Plain Greek Yogurt (I used Coconut Flavor, may try Blueberry next time)
- 1 large egg
- 3Tbs unsalted butter melted
- 1 Tsp Vanilla extract
- 3 Tbs honey
- ) Sift 1st five ingredients together.
- ) In a separate bowl whisk all wet ingredients
- ) Mix dry ingredients into wet till combined (do not over mix, lumps are okay)
- ) Add about 2 Tbs to a hot greased skillet or griddle and cook for about 3 minutes on each side.
- Roasting Beets
- * Wash and cut Beets in half. Fold a piece of foil in half and seal edges so they can steam. Bake on 375 degrees for 45 minutes. Use gloves or a paper towel to remove skins and puree till smooth.