I have always had a love for Eggplant Parmesan. I honestly often choose it over chicken in a restaurant. I have made it a million times at home and one day I saw someone suggest how to do it a little differently. I have seen the layered look before but still never thought to make it that way at home. Now I am not going to try to tell you that it is the pancake like stacking that makes a bit of difference in anything but the aesthetics of this dish. That being said it is the thin slicing of the eggplant which somehow does make this taste better. I know sounds silly but it did. Give it a go and see for yourself. Check out the Oven Roasted Tomato Sauce recipe for a great sauce to accompany the eggplant.
*The amount of sauce and cheese is based on my usage so please feel free to add or subtract based on your preference*
- 2 medium Eggplant
- 2 cups Whole wheat breadcrumbs (or your fav)
- Salt and pepper to taste *I also used a dried Italian herb blend*
- 2 eggs beaten
- Oil for frying
- 3 cups marinara sauce
- 4 cups Mozzarella cheese (your choice on which type ex-whole milk etc)
- Cut eggplant very thinly
- Season to taste
- Dip into egg
- Coat with bread crumbs
- Heat oil and lightly fry on both sides till golden
- Stack layers of eggplant with sauce and cheese between each one
- Put in 350 degree oven for about 10-12 minutes.