Happy Chinese New Year all! Although I am not Chinese I have always loved and admired the beautiful culture of China and the ceremony of the New Year’s celebrations. On a totally nonfood related note Pandas have been a lifelong obsession of mine so China has always had a special place in my heart because of them as well.
Okay back to food, I love Chinese food and not just the take out versions of it (which can be very delicious). We eat a lot of stir fry in my house not only because it is delicious but I can pack a lot of veggies in and it is quick to assemble. I love to change things up and this style of cooking allows me to use what I have and to be creative also.
I saw some Chinese Style Sausage in my grocery store and was super excited to play around with it. I decided to make a fried rice and it turned out to be a really great dish. You can adjust the seasoning to your taste and even add or omit ingredients. One of the beautiful things about this type of cooking is you can make it your own without worry. Enjoy!
- 3 cups cooked rice (I used Jasmine)
- 3 links Chinese Style Sausage
- 1 cup frozen carrots and peas
- 1 clove garlic finely diced
- ¼ cup onion finely diced
- 1 egg scrambled
- 2 Tbs Soy Sauce (or to taste)
- White pepper (to taste or optional)
- Salt (to taste)
- Sesame Oil (optional)
- Cook rice and allow to cool completely
- Scramble egg, cook and set aside
- Saute Sausage on medium heat till cooked through
- Add diced garlic and onion, cook covered for 1-2 mins
- Add Peas and Carrots and cook covered till tender (2-3 mins)
- Add egg and rice, mix till combined
- Add Soy Sauce and desired seasoning to taste.*
- Continue cooking for about 5 minutes more to combine flavors.